From Our Director
25 WEEKS LATER!
Jersey Arts Centre is now in the process of re-focusing its activities to enable future live performances and events to take place later this autumn – provided, of course, that it is able to do so with new Government of Jersey guidelines and advice.
We would like to sincerely thank our Members, audiences, volunteers and staff for their incredible and unparalleled support these past 25 weeks. We have missed you all and look forward to seeing you again at Jersey Arts Centre soon. Please check out our coronavirus page for keeping safe when visiting Jersey Arts Centre and our current operational status…
EDUCATE, INSPIRE AND ENCOURAGE DEBATE with and for Our Community.
Between Monday 23 March and Friday 11 September – and for 25 busy weeks – Jersey Arts Centre created 1,009 activities and experiences, and a further 842 communications, across our digital platforms (Total: 1,851) many of which are still available to experience on our website.
It’s a Wonder! And so MANY THANKS for your incredible support during these times.
See below for all our ongoing initiatives for both social and cultural engagement…
From: Monday 23 March 2020…
On our website and via social media, between Monday and Friday, for an initial 6 (possibly 12) and now 25 weeks we have been inspiring you with a:
- Story for Today – literature, plays, poems, legends and myths et al
- Song for Today – pop, folk, jazz’n’blues, spoken word and musical theatre
- Art for Today – architecture, ceramics, drawings, photography and paintings et al
- Film for Today – noir, drama, comedy, thriller and children’s
- Take Care for Today – tips, tricks and helpful hints to keep you well
We have also been keep you up to speed through our website and social media, with the future (and past) work of 5 of our theatre companies:
- ArtsCentreTheatre (ACT)
- Community Christmas Company
- Junior Drama (8-13 years)
- Theatre-in-Education (TiE) Company
- youtheatre (14-19 years)
And updated you with a further 2 of our historic initiatives:
- OUR RESIDENCIES – we have assisted in developing the work of 30+ companies, artists and makers since 2010
- OUR TWINNING – with St. Helier’s twin town of Bad Wurzach, Germany, where we have toured 9 of our productions as part of a cultural exchange with our youtheatre and the young people at the Realschule
There are now 9, brand new projects planned for and being delivered:
- JAC-anory – from Friday 27 March Jersey Arts Centre will present a daily series of audio content in the evenings, from Monday through Friday, to bring stories to your homes. From short stories to novellas, and from plays to poems, tune in and enjoy! Check out the JAC-anory event on our website.
- OFF THE WALL – a photographic archive of your images from this time. Full details were announced on Friday 27 March so check out our ‘Off the Wall’ event on our website!
- GOING UNDERGROUND – Simon MacDonald’s recent new work, which performed at JAC on 11+12 March, with its noisy and menacing reminiscences of 80s London and travel on the Tube, and inspired by the photographs of Bob Mazzer, will be released here in six weekly installments beginning Friday 3 April.
- BEASTS AND BEAUTIES – youtheatre’s spring production broadcasting in 8 weekly parts beginning Wednesday 8 April. Carol Ann Duffy’s adaptation of eight European tales dramatised by Melly Still and Tim Supple. Check out the youtheatre page to catch the final episode of BEASTS AND BEAUTIES.
- CHANTEZ AVEC BERTRAND ET VERONIQUE – as an overture to the above initiatives: Bertrand and Veronique, of Art’Comedia, our long-term collaborators since 2013 from L’Hermitage in Brittany, have agreed to share a musical number of their choice to brighten our week and keep us all singing.
- FLASH! FICTION! – a literary opportunity for all Islanders to write short stories of 100, 500, 750 or a 1000 words with a weekly title from 20 April. Check-out the FLASH! FICTION! entry on our website.
- SEVENTY-FIVE YEARS – Jersey Arts Centre is excited to present 17 commissioned poems over the Liberation 75 period online: via our website and social media platforms. We will be adding one poem a day (Monday-Friday) from Friday 1 May – Monday 25 May 2020.
- SHAKESPEARE SHORTS – a monologue/soliloquy highlight from one of William Shakespeare’s plays performed by one of our JAC actors and launched on Wednesday 24 June… enjoy!
- THE ACT MONOLOGUES – found on the ACT page of our website from Thursday 30 July…
There are also a plethora of cultural organisations providing exciting and innovative digital content during these times. Click on the links below to access virtual tours, digital platforms, daily challenges and more! We will update this list regularly to add other exciting things that are happening in Jersey and beyond!
- ArtHouse Jersey Presents – a new digital space for emerging and established artists to exhibit, promote and share their work.
- Jersey Opera House – follow their social media pages to find digital content from theatres and cultural organisations around the world.
- Heritage at Home – Jersey Heritage have created ‘Heritage at Home’; “bringing together all sorts of things that you can enjoy from the comfort of your home, from virtual tours, crafts and learning activities, to family history resources, live webinars and even a virtual version of our spring-time event, La Fête Du R’Nouvé”.
- Societe Jersiaise: Island Lockdown Open Call – Societe Jersiaise have put out an open call for islanders to document their daily lives with the stay at home restrictions implemented to slow the spread of Covid-19.
- Oddsocks Productions – Oddsocks are live-streaming their back catalogue of performances on Friday nights – click to check it out!
See you all soon! Enjoy the above and take care.
Director – Jersey Arts Centre