From Our Director
EDUCATE, INSPIRE AND ENCOURAGE DEBATE with and for Our Community.
[Please note, that after 9 busy weeks of creating 405 activities and experiences, and a further 355 communications, across our digital platforms – It’s a Wonder! – Jersey Arts Centre will be taking a short break during what would have been Half Term. However, we will still be posting 5 Daily Recommendations over the 5 days between Monday 25 May and Friday 29 May and, of course, the 17th, and final, commissioned Liberation 75 poem on the Monday. Have a great Holiday Weekend and what would have been the Half Term break: enjoy! And MANY THANKS for your incredible support during these times. We will be back, full-time, from Monday 1 June! Take Care and Be Safe!]
From: Monday 23 March 2020…
On our website and via social media, between Monday and Friday, for an initial 6 (possibly 12) weeks we will inspire you with a:
- Story for Today – literature, plays, poems, legends and myths et al
- Song for Today – pop, folk, jazz’n’blues, spoken word and musical theatre
- Art for Today – architecture, ceramics, drawings, photography and paintings et al
- Film for Today – noir, drama, comedy, thriller and children’s
- Take Care for Today – tips, tricks and helpful hints to keep you well
We will also keep you up to speed, on a weekly basis through our website and social media, with the future (and past) work of 5 of our theatre companies:
- ArtsCentreTheatre (ACT)
- Community Christmas Company
- Junior Drama (8-13 years)
- Theatre-in-Education (TiE) Company
- youtheatre (14-19 years)
And update you with a further 2 of our historic initiatives:
- OUR RESIDENCIES – we have assisted in developing the work of 30+ companies, artists and makers since 2010
- OUR TWINNING – with St. Helier’s twin town of Bad Wurzach, Germany, where we have toured 9 of our productions as part of a cultural exchange with our youtheatre and the young people at the Realschule
There are now 7, brand new projects planned for and being delivered:
- JAC-anory – from Friday 27 March Jersey Arts Centre will present a daily series of audio content in the evenings, from Monday through Friday, to bring stories to your homes. From short stories to novellas, and from plays to poems, tune in and enjoy! Check out the JAC-anory event on our website.
- OFF THE WALL – a photographic archive of your images from this time. Full details were announced on Friday 27 March so check out our ‘Off the Wall’ event on our website!
- GOING UNDERGROUND – Simon MacDonald’s recent new work, which performed at JAC on 11+12 March, with its noisy and menacing reminiscences of 80s London and travel on the Tube, and inspired by the photographs of Bob Mazzer, will be released here in six weekly installments beginning Friday 3 April.
- BEASTS AND BEAUTIES – youtheatre’s spring production broadcasting in 8 weekly parts beginning Wednesday 8 April. Carol Ann Duffy’s adaptation of eight European tales dramatised by Melly Still and Tim Supple. Check out the BEASTS AND BEAUTIES event on our website.
- CHANTEZ AVEC BERTRAND ET VERONIQUE – as an overture to the above initiatives: Bertrand and Veronique, of Art’Comedia, our long-term collaborators since 2013 from L’Hermitage in Brittany, have agreed to share a musical number of their choice to brighten our week and keep us all singing.
- FLASH! FICTION! – a literary opportunity for all Islanders to write short stories of 100, 500, 750 or a 1000 words with a weekly title from 20 April. Check-out the FLASH! FICTION! entry on our website.
- SEVENTY-FIVE YEARS – Jersey Arts Centre is excited to present 17 commissioned poems over the Liberation 75 period online: via our website and social media platforms. We will be adding one poem a day (Monday-Friday) from Friday 1 May – Monday 25 May 2020.
See you all soon! Enjoy the above and take care.
Director – Jersey Arts Centre